Friday, January 27, 2006

I am so shocked


In a move that surprised absolutely no one, Nintendo revealed yesterday that it is in fact working on a streamlined version of its popular DS handheld console. Entitled the DS Lite, the newer version will be smaller, thinner and lighter and will feature ... oh I just can't work up the enthusiasm to go into all the niggling little specs. You can read all about it here.

Honestly, I'm torn about the whole thing. On the one hand there's no question that the original DS is way too bulky and was in need of a face-lift. And I like the general look of the thing despite the fact that Nintendo is obviously stealing more than one page from Apple's design book.

On the other hand, releasing this only a year or so after the first edition came out is a real slap in the face to early adopters, not to mention everyone who got the device as a present over the holidays. Are we going to have to adopt a wait and see approach with every piece of hardware from now on? How many variations on a theme can Nintendo pump out before consumers get annoyed?

Of course I'll probably still get one all the same.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Oddly enough, I'm not concerned about this at all, except maybe in terms of the screen brightness. I bought my DS when Nintendogs came out, and I'm pretty happy with its size. It's not too big and bulky; well, maybe if you compare it to the Gameboy Micro or something, but the PSP is also pretty big.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home